DRIED WILLOW OAK LEAVES (QUERCUS PHELLOS) - 4 QUART BAGBiome Exotics
Below are the available bulk discount rates for each individual item when you purchase a certain amount
- Buy 2 - 4 and get 10% off
- Buy 5 - 9 and get 20% off
- Buy 10 or above and get 30% off
The Unusual Properties and Benefits of Leaf-litter
As well as providing a natural source of food for living plants and organisms, dried leaves contain tannins and humic acids, which leach into the soil when it rains. Tannins are what give blackwater rivers and streams their characteristic tea-color appearance and low pH value. Selective leaf litter can also provide additional benefits, including anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, all of which support your substrate health. All the leaf litter Biome Exotics offers have been specifically selected to have these enhanced properties. Standard and readily available Oak, and Magnolia leaves can be mixed in to increase the organic matter when preparing your substrate mixture.
DRIED WILLOW OAK LEAVES (QUERCUS PHELLOS) PROPERTIES:
- Willow Oak leaves are brown/bronze in color when fully dried and 2 to 5 inches long. The shape of the leaf is linear or lanceolate (willow-like).
- The Willow Oak leaf Looks similar to: Water Oak, Laurel Oak, Shingle Oak, and the Darlington Oak.
- 100% organic.
- 100% completely free from chemical residues.
- Leaves are locally collected and meticulously washed.
- We completely sterilize and desiccated all leaves.
- Willow Oak leaves break down slower than other leaves and therefore last longer.
- Releases beneficial tannins.
- Willow Oak leaves can reduce substrate pH as the leaves decompose and tannic acid is released.
- As decomposition takes place, microfauna including isopods, and springtails will use them as food.
- Leaves enhance substrate biofilm - Read more about it [here].
*Leaf, wood, and bark biofilm sustains 40-times more active microbes.